Wednesday, December 3, 2008

NaNoWriMo and Health

A combination of the Thanksgiving holiday and NaNoWriMo wiped out my ability to blog during the last week of November. But now I'm back with 51,000 words badly in need of a rewrite and a bunch of stuff to blog about. The rewrite will have to wait so I'll talk about my health. But wait! There's an exciting NaNoWriMo tie in!

I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in early January. During my last appointment he ordered me to never have any fun again for as long as I live. I am pleased to report that, so far, I'm keeping up with the program. I made it through a Thanksgiving trip to Ft. Myers with my family without overindulging or even eating anything all that bad for me. Also, a long beach on the Gulf of Mexico turns out to be great for encouraging exercise. As long as I can make it through the Christmas season without pigging out, I'll be fine.

However, it would be easier for me if I could see a graph of my progress like I had with NaNoWriMo. That was awesome. I'd write a bunch of words and once I updated my profile on the website a bar graph would appear with a cheery graphic that compared my word count to that of the last update.

I'm going to have to wait another month before I know if my efforts are having the desired effect of lowering my triglycerides. I mean, I can see that I've lost some size around my belly which is awesome but how great would it be to come home from a walk and see that my HDL number has gone up? Or when I eat an apple instead of a butter-drenched bagel for breakfast, a little monitor dings to indicate that my trigyceride level has dropped by 2%.

Let's get on that technology now! I demand instant gratification.

..

1 comment:

Joy said...

I like that idea, too. Someone needs to invent it.

Congratulations on your accomplishments during Thanksgiving! You will see major differences in your numbers next time. It's quite encouraging.