Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hello, World

Hi.

I've been running Noetic Concordance, my comic-book blog for a while now and I am a contributor to Geekzor. They are both a lot of fun but lately I have discovered a need to blog about some more personal things. Namely, my son and my health.

My son is five years old and he is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me since I got married. He has Asperger's syndrome which is a form of autism. This is an aspect of who he is, no different from his hair color or his height but it brings its own set of challenges when it comes to parenting. I'll be talking about the roller coaster that is being the parent of an autistic child.

I'll also spend some time talking about my health which, until recently, has been fine. Unfortunately, I am almost 40 and my body is letting me know it. There will likely be more blog posts regarding that roller coaster after my doctor's appointment next week.

Finally, I intend to use Homologous Trend to throw some critical thinking your way. As I get older, I have less and less tolerance for magical thinking and bad science. I have been a Christian, a Wiccan, and a member of the 'AMA = Evil' school of thought. I am no longer any of those things. Some of my posts will give insight as to why that is.

So, welcome to my new blog. Here are a few other blogs that have inspired me to start this one:

The Perky Skeptic: Quite simply one of the best personal blogs out there. You might notice some similarity between her posts and mine (hint, hint).

Babble On: My mother's blog. Mom started her first blog in 2002 to keep people updated on her fight against cancer. She is one of the best people I know and I hope I'm doing half the job raising my son that she did with me. You'll see plenty of posts about her, here. Check out her new blog as well as the archives on her old one.

A Life Less Ordinary? is the most direct inspiration for me to start this one. Emily is the mother of an autistic child, too. Her posts could be about my child and she is the first person I heard refer to the experience as a roller coaster. Check out her blog. She's a good writer and a kindred spirit.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Thanks for the link and the nice things you said about me. :-)

Love you! Love your new blog!